- 250 g plain white flour
- 150 g wholemeal flour
- 50 g oats (plus extra to scatter on top)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda, not baking powder)
- 300 ml neutral tasting dairy free milk (Alpro Unsweetened Oat Milk is my favourite)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (or lemon juice, or white wine vinegar)
- Preheat the oven to 220C / 200C fan / gas mark 7 / 425F. Lightly Dust a baking tray with flour.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together thoroughly.
- Add the oat milk and vinegar, and stir to combine.
- Keep stirring until the ingredients come together as a dough, then squidge together to form a ball.
- Place the ball of dough on your baking tray and cut a deep cross in the centre. This is really important as it helps the centre of the bread to cook properly – so cut nice and deep, almost to the bottom.
- If you wish, you can dust the loaf with a little flour and a sprinkle of oats, then place the bread in your preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- That's it, take it out, cool it on a rack. Enjoy